TECtacular Squad

Soooooo, it's been three years since my last post and so many things had happened. Err, I don't know where to start. But, the first thing I want to tell you is that it has been three years since I was given a new position at work: to be the unit coordinator of TEC HF. Woohoo!

If you are following my journey, you must know that I am a special education teacher (est 2011). Yep, it's been years and I am still enjoying this job!

I was handling primary level students for the first five years, and I was grateful to meet such lovely kids. I mean I looooove kids since I was a kid. I used to want to be a pediatrician but I managed my dreams and adjusted my expectation on how to work with a kids: by studying psychology. Ha! Yeah, I think it's kind of the same thing for me as long as I can be with kids, no?

Okay, so. Handling for five years, I had to say goodbye to them lil' kids because I was rolled to teach in TEC HF (Transition Education Center - High Functioning) students back in 2015. Hearing the news, I was surprised and felt betrayed by my supervisor because I clearly told her that I wanted to be the coordinator replacing her. But then, what? I got to teach in a different unit? Without any closure (read: demo teaching and close mentoring) of how to handle them? You gotta be kidding me!! (yeah, that was my thoughts)

During my first two years in teaching teenagers, I needed to shift my perspective. It was totally different than when I taught lil' kids because I was forced to think back like when I was once a teenager. I mean, who didn't face such a roller coaster ride of emotion, the urge feeling to be existed and recognized by others, and the protest of the rules? I guess, it was and still is tricky handling teenagers, not to mention special ones. Well, thanks to my colleagues and big boss who guided me through the bumpy road of my emotions (yeah, I guess I was quite tense and forced to learn to manage my emotion and expectation as well). My journey was never easy, but I didn't give up either. And I think my boss saw my commitment and perseverance in growing myself, improve myself, enrich myself through the journey. Until I was officially appointed as the coordinator. Yay!

Wow! I must say that the phrase of lifelong learner goes well with myself because I found me never stop learning in whatever position I have been given since the first job as special education teacher assistant. It took eight years for me to reach the coordinator position. But when I am here, I feel like I still know nothing and still need to learn more and more and more. Am I overreacting? No. It's just the way it is. 

Well, what about the kids then? Oh, that's a different story! I think I cherish my time with them. I feel like I kind of having brothers and sisters instead of students because they are up to date with what's happening in the world, and the conversations are pure yet mind blowing, and funny yet interesting. My days were always (and still are) full of surprise. I never have the same situations. They are unpredictable every single day but I am okay with it. They put smile on my face, even in the worst and weirdest situation ever.

They grow on me.

So, I call them TECtacular Squad.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Afternoon Tea And Flowery Time With Cutting Project

Bad Days Turn Into....